Im gonna git u Sukkah

True story.
I am walking to my car and I notice a couple of Jewish fellows, twenty- somethings, with bouquets of what looks like bamboo or palm. I know they are Jewish for they look Hasidic. They are wearing long black jackets, wide brim black fedora hats, and have curly sideburns. In truth, I classify all Jewish who dress like this as Hasidic although they may identify themselves differently. They are standing near the corner canvassing passersby.
One of the fellows looks me over and asks, “Are you Jewish?”

I look Jewish? This is a revelation to me. People have called me good names and bad names but Jewish is a first. Maybe he senses my love of bagels? They do say, you are what you eat.


"No," I say, "what is that you're holding?"

He is kind enough to explain the bouquet. He says that they are plants - he names them - to symbolize scholars who study the Torah and those who don’t, and people who do good deeds and those who don’t. There is more and more explanation and I start to zone out.

I next ask, "Do you get extra Blessings from God for this?"

Funny thing, a woman is passing by and he cuts me off and runs over to her and asks if she is Jewish. What she is, is pretty. 

I guess that even in this deep religious moment, a guy gotta be a guy and do some girl watching.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire

You sure 'bout that?

RedSkins PigSkins