A writer writing and sipping coffee - 9/11 Memorial

                      Image result for world trade center watch
For a thousand years, writers have been sitting in coffee shops (and bars) writing stories.


I am sipping my coffee in Gregory’s Coffee near the World Trade Center surrounded by my fellow tourists to New York City.

Down the street is the 9-11 Memorial.

I offer prayers for our countrymen who went to work there and never returned home. I think of their families and hope that they are coping well with this hurt. I think of the images on TV of the Towers collapse. I think about the people I saw on TV coming over the Brooklyn Bridge covered in ash looking like ghosts and zombies.

I think about lateness.

Some people, good provider that they are, made the decision to get up early that morning so as not to be late for work at the World Trade Center and did not come home. Some people made the decision to get up late that morning, were late to work, missed everything, and went home.

Something is off here.

Do the right thing, make the right decision to be on time for work and end up with a bad result – dead.

Make a bad decision to do the wrong thing, to be late for work and end up with a good result -- alive.

Good decisions go bad and bad decisions go good despite ourselves. No one knows why.

We explain with common sayings; the luck of the draw as if this is a card game, or make enough decisions and the odds are that X will be good and Y will be bad as if it is a math problem or It is the Will of God.

The first two are random. Can happen to anyone at any time. The last is planned. In Bible, God tests our faith. God has a Plan for each of us but God does not tell us the details.

Yet, decisions must be made. Decide -- be on time for work or be late for work?

To quote from a sci-fi novel The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert, The least thing that is known shall govern your acts.

One thing I do know, get enough latenesses to work and I will be fired.


A writer writing and sipping coffee - Standing on the corner watching people go by
A writer writing and sipping coffee - Heartbreak
A writer writing and sipping coffee - See Them Naked

A writer writing and sipping coffee - Tattoo my heart



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire

You sure 'bout that?

RedSkins PigSkins