Hunter

                      Live Free and Run: Boston Marathon: A Day of Celebration Turns ...            
Hunter spied the jackrabbit ahead. His third jackrabbit.

I can do it, I can do it.

His legs tired and hurting but he swung his arms harder and ran a bit faster. His chest and stomach heaving in unison, desperately working to get air in and out to meet the increasing demand. A stitch ached in his side.

I can do it, I can do it.

And, the distance to the rabbit was smaller.

The rabbit heard the footsteps coming up behind.

Faster, Faster, I can do this, I can do this.

The rabbit, lungs hurting, legs hurting, bit his tongue, but kept up his pace.

Hunter focused only the back of the rabbit. The hard whoosh of air surging through his mouth, in and out of his lungs, filled his ears.

Knee up, knee up, knee up, knee up.

Hunter was on the heels of the jackrabbit.

Only a leap, only a leap, wait, wait, NOW!

Leaping, Hunter broke the tape, the first gorilla to win the 5K World Championship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire

You sure 'bout that?

Make Your Own Kind of Music? Baah!