Whadda You Know

 




It's a funny thing, I have spent my life accumulating knowledge. It started after I left school.

While in school, I did what was needed to get good grades. That is because everyone -- parents, teachers, the world -- measured me that way. I did not need to know anything, just remember enough in the moment to pass the tests.

I of course did not realize what I was doing as a young student, but I am sure that my teachers knew. Not sure if it mattered to them as long as I got good grades. See, that's how the teachers are measured too: On my good grades. But, let's not rehash this critique of the educational system.

After I was done with school, that is, done with college too, I started to read the books I should have read in school. I mean I did read these books in school but I did not really read them. I did not learn what there was to learn in them.

The first book, oddly enough, was a book from one of my English Literature classes, The Scarlet Letter. I say oddly enough because I have a low opinion of English Lit classes. I believe that the English teachers make up stuff, themes and the like, that the author did not intend, just so that teachers will have something to say about books. Anyway, The Scarlet Letter is one of my favorite books – never mind why -- and I read it every couple of years.

I re-read my science books too. Organic chemistry still confuses me. I read some math and I finally have a better understanding of the use and purpose of the first derivative and second derivative (Google it). I am still to this day pondering what is the point of a third derivative. In short, I went back and learn what I should have learned in the first place.

As enjoyable as that was, it was a complete waste of time. I now have all this knowledge and so far have no use for it. My job does not require the use of the second derivative, much less the first derivative. I have found no use for much of this knowledge in any part of my life.

I know much but I don't think I gained much wisdom. Wisdom, at least as I define it, is the application of knowledge to some problem. My life decisions are full of hopes and dreams and some dumb mistakes. I cannot tell if the good decisions turned out good because of that knowledge or because of God's Blessings.

Nonetheless, I continue to accumulate knowledge. I can tell you, on the spur of the moment, how many inches are in one mile (no need to google this one - 63,360).

Geez, I am such a Font of Useless Knowledge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire

You sure 'bout that?

RedSkins PigSkins